Tabish Khair‘s advice to young writers
1. Don’t write because you want to; write because you have to.
2. It is not a career; it is a vocation.
3. It is not going to make your life any better (or, hopefully, any worse).
4. Listen to everyone’s opinion on your writing; accept only what you agree with.
5. Don’t assume that what interests you will automatically interest your reader.
6. The only way you can learn this craft is by reading much and widely.
7. If you like only one kind of writing, you are in deep trouble.
8. If you like all kinds of writing, you are in deeper trouble.
9. Strong opinions are necessary; prejudices are not.
10. Alcohol and love, both in moderation, usually help.